Friday, May 14, 2010

Love and hate stage

This is the stage in the painting that I love and hate: when the underpainting's done. There are parts of it that I love, and I really don't want to paint over it. It's raw and loose and scribbly, but I know that it's going to look better after I do the over painting. Yes, there are definitely customers for the raw and loose and scribbly paintings, but from my experience with trying it out on the small painings, I'm pretty sure that there are a lot fewer of them. It would be nice to say f*ck it and do the scribbly paintings, but I'm pretty sure my income would drop off. Not so good.

I'm trepidatious about the next layers, I hate this stage because I'm worried about screwing the piece up. Underpainting's easy to fix, overpainting is nearly impossible. Underpainting's like rehearsal, overpainting's like a live performance.

Anyway here it is at the love hate stage:




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment